zondag 17 januari 2016

Beautiful pictures of the Prinsentuin

Hello everyone,

This time we are going to focus on the Prinsentuin. A beautiful garden near to the Martinitoren and Martinikerk which is especially in spring a beautiful place to visit.

This article will touch upon a research that has been conducted to investigate whether the amount of existing geolocated photographs posted to the online photo-sharing website flickr is able to reveal where people go to. 1 Geolocated photographs are photographs that are tagged together with a location, so that you know exactly where the picture is taken. They investigated on a worldwide scale which locations where tagged the most often and therefore, the most popular to go to. Despite that this research is still far from perfect, I found it striking that they were now doing research based on Flickr, an app on a mobile phone! This a very good example of web 2.0, social media is functioning in multiple and different ways than before!

Since I was inspired by their research, I became curious about Flickr and its photographs of the Prinsentuin. I have never visited the Prinsentuin before and during my visit in the winter, everything was not growing so there was not a lot of beautifulness to see. When I was searching on Flickr for the Prinsentuin I saw beautiful pictures and I need to show them.
You can see how many faves and comments the picture has and in this one you see the geotag! I like the flower very much since it’s almost my name MelissA haha.

















































































































I am triggered by the research which has been done and I like the idea of using social media as a foundation for data collection. I was surprised by the fact of the amount of photos on Flickr of the Prinsentuin but this is a good sign for the popularity of the Prinsentuin.

Hope to see you next time again,


Melisse

I visited some years ago a garden as well and there I found the match with my name! It's a kind of tea.



















References:
1. Wood, S., Guerry, A., Silver, J., & Lacayo, M. (2013). Using social media to quantify nature-based tourism and recreation. Scientific Reports , 12-21.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten